Mediterranean-style Diet for Your Mind, Body and Spirit
Compared to other diet plans touted to help you lose weight and become healthier, the Mediterranean diet plan is superior because it’s a lifestyle rather than a temporary diet plan. The benefits of the mediterranean diet to your Mind ,Body and Spirit are enormous .
The first major study involving the diet and health of those living in the Mediterranean region was conducted on the island of Crete, the largest and most populated of the Greek islands.
The study took place after World War II and was headed by the Mayo Foundation’s, Ancel Keys. Over 13,000 men from Greece, Italy, Japan, the U.S.A and the Netherlands were studied to see how they had fared during the deprivation years of the war.
The most well-fed (Americans) of the group suffered more heart disease. The poorest of the group (on the island of Crete) were found to have the best heart health. Keys concluded their cardio health was due to the hard physical labor they endured – and the food they enjoyed which kept them healthy and fit.
By consuming a diet which consisted mainly of homegrown and extremely fresh foods without the harmful processing we now find in our foods, the population of Crete was able to live longer and remain healthier than the other populations of the world.
Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet for the Body
It’s a widely known fact your diet has much to do with your risk of developing some diseases. A plant-based diet (such as the Mediterranean diet plan) is known to seriously help reduce or even abolish a person’s predisposition to certain chronic diseases
Health benefits enjoyed with a Mediterranean diet include:
- Reduced risk of heart disease. Heart health is improved by including such foods as nuts, fatty acids and vegetables.
- May prevent diabetes. Studies indicate Type 2 diabetes may be prevented or improved by adopting the traditional Med-diet.
- Protects bones. A Med-diet which is enhanced with olive oil increases the concentration of serum osteocalin in the body, which is found to benefit bone health.
- Reduces cardiovascular risk. Even a diet consisting of low-fat foods can’t compare with the health benefits of a Med-diet to help reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems.
- Prevents risk of stroke. People who are genetically predisposed to strokes can be helped by the Mediterranean lifestyle.
- Slim down and boost health – If you’ve struggled with weight loss for a long time, you’ll love the way the Med-diet program combined with exercise naturally slims and restores weight to a healthier value on the scale.
Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet for the Mind
The food you eat not only has an impact on your body – but also influences your “brain health.” Recent studies indicate the Mediterranean diet reduces the possibility of damage to the brain’s small blood vessels.
Here are some “brain boosters” you’ll enjoy when you adopt the Mediterranean diet for your own lifestyle:
- Clarity of thought. Your focus on the task at hand will become much more clear when you enjoy a diet of “brain boosting” foods, including herbs such as rosemary, sage and basil so often used in Med-recipes.
- Enhanced memory. Much of the foods you’ll enjoy on the Med-diet plan stimulate the nervous system by activating the blood flow to your brain so your memory is greatly improved.
- Nutritional advantages to the brain. The Med-diet provides all the nutrients and vitamins you need to ensure a healthy brain. When your body is living on preservatives and other harmful ingredients found in most food, it’s difficult to get the best function from your brain.
The ability to learn and remember is a function of the brain which can be greatly enhanced by a diet rich in the nutrients contained in the foods of the Mediterranean diet plan.
Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet for the Spirit
When studies were conducted in the Mediterranean region after World War II, it was found healthy lifestyles which include diet and plenty of sunshine and exercise contributed to the happiness of the people there.
Despite the hardships which the population was forced to endure during the war, the people there were better able to overcome the adversities and hold on to their zest for life.
By switching your lifestyle from the modern diet of fast-food, preservatives and eating on the run, you’ll also likely notice a switch in the way you view the world. You’ll feel more like reaching your goals – either mental or physical and enjoy life in a way you never have before.
Some of the problems which destroy our ability to think beyond ourselves involve chronic diseases such as fatigue, aches and pains and other maladies. When you’re in pain and tired much of the time, it’s difficult to relate to anything but yourself.
Haven’t you noticed when you feel healthy and are following a healthy lifestyle, you’re better able to relate more compassionately to your fellow man and generally, become a kinder and gentler person? Diet makes such a difference in our overall happiness and well-being we’re more able to let the worries of the world go and enjoy life